The main activities of the Canid Specialist Group include:
- Compilation, synthesis and dissemination of canid related information through:
- Strategic Planning and reuslting Action Plans
- Canid Biology & Conservation, an electronic, peer-reviewed journal
- Canids-L, a mailing list exclusively devoted to Canid biology and conservation
- Maintenance of a database of current canid research and conservation projects.
- Holding of regular meetings of CSG members alongside international conferences.
- Serving as the IUCN Red List Authority for the Canidae, responsible to evaluate the category of threat of all canid species.
The Chair of the CSG relies on advise from the membership-at-large, but relies on two Special Advisers, and a small group of Core Members, with whom he consults on specific issues.
The membership is involved in several Working Groups, depending on their particular expertise. These are:
African Wild Dog
Island, Kit & Swift Foxes
Southern Cone Foxes
Disease & Epidemiology
Taxonomy & Nomenclature
The CSG also has Contact Persons for the following issues:
Reintroductions & Translocations